A win-win project
The EAWP programme offers unique benefits for all participants who may well have originally wondered ‘What’s in it for me’? As well as the obvious advantages that the combination of diverse skills, experience and resources can bring, EAWP also offers direct benefits to all stakeholders:
- Opportunity to discuss current industry ‘Best Practices’ across Europe.
- Opportunity to update individual companies on the latest welfare-related research from Europe and beyond.
- Forum for producers, processing industry, retailers and NGO’s to engage in a positive environment and to openly discuss farm animal welfare issues (real and perceived issues; welfare assessment; practical solutions; economic aspects of proposed solutions).
- Opportunity to influence European research priorities and future legislation.
- Opportunity to enhance the perception of individual companies and help lead on European farm animal welfare standards.
- Improving the corporate image of individual companies or product cluster segments.
- Farmers are likely to find that improving animal welfare can result in increased productivity, product quality and profitability.
- Consumers will be reassured about ways in which their food is being produced and processed. This is particularly relevant in times of global animal diseases and food scares.
Producers and the processing industry will be able to demonstrate their high standards and improve their public perception and image.
The authors gratefully acknowledge from the European Community financial participation under the Seventh Framework Programme for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration Activities, for the Support Action "EAWP" European Animal Welfare Platform, Grant Agreement KBBE-212326.
This publication reflects only the author(s)'views and the European Community is not liable for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.